UPMC WorkPartners’ MyHealth weight management programs and services teach employees about lifestyle habits that may be keeping them from successfully managing their weight — and motivate them to cultivate healthier ones.
Unhealthy lifestyles take years to develop, one habit at a time. Successful weight management is not about “dieting” — it is about making better food choices and engaging in regular physical activity. Our weight management programs help employees achieve and maintain a healthier weight by adopting a healthier lifestyle.
These programs help employees develop habits that will allow them to enjoy the benefits of good health for many years. Our programs and services include:
- MyHealth Weigh to WellnessTM – Structured health coaching program that teaches employees to make healthier nutrition choices in conjunction with regular physical activity and develop lifelong weight management habits.
- MyHealth Weight Race – Twelve-week workplace campaign that motivates employees to lose weight and develop permanent healthy weight management behaviors. Employees can participate individually, but we encourage them to form teams of three to five members.
- MyHealth Eating WellTM – Series of six health coaching sessions that encourages employees to develop healthier eating habits. Topics covered include food labels, basic nutrients, and guidelines for making healthier food choices.
- Dining SmartTM – Nutrition consultation services for workplace food service operations to promote and support healthy dining, vending, and catering options for employees. High-quality nutrition education and promotional materials build and support a culture of healthy eating.
- MyHealth Step Up to WellnessTM – Structured health coaching program that teaches employees how to get started and stay motivated with a personalized physical activity program. Health coaches offer tips for setting realistic activity goals, incorporating physical activity into busy work schedules, and adding strength and flexibility training.
- Let’s Get Active – Activity program that encourages employees to take a one-mile walk or engage in other equivalent aerobic exercise, at least five days per week for four weeks.
- Get in Step – Eight-week physical activity campaign featuring online tools and trackers to increase employee awareness of the importance of physical activity. Get in Step also motivates employees to become more active. Companies can incorporate existing workplace walking activities or exercise classes into the campaign.
MyHealth Weight Management at Work
UPMC WorkPartners’ popular weight management programs bring results, helping reduce both employees’ weight and employers’ medical cost trends. We focus not only on helping employees make manageable and permanent nutrition and activity changes, but also on building workplace and social support networks to ensure that weight-loss and maintenance continue long after the program is over.
A recent study of 1,303 individuals who enrolled in a MyHealth Weight management program showed:
- 93% were at risk due to weight (BMI >25) at the time of enrollment.
- 94% maintained or lost weight during the program; 31% of that group achieved a clinically successful weight loss of more than 5% of their body weight.
- Participants showed continued and sustained weight loss six months after finishing the program in contrast to most commercial weight loss programs.