Do you want to manage your health better? Or prevent health problems? You need a PCP.
Who are they and what do they do?
- Your PCP is a central hub for your medical care. They coordinate with other providers and services to ensure you get the care you need.
- They will get to know you, your health history, goals, and concerns. They use your wishes to help create your care plan.
Why should I have a PCP?
- People who have a primary care provider are often healthier than people who don’t have a PCP.
- Care coordination with other providers can help you get the tests you need and only as often as you need them.
- They can help keep you out of harm’s way and make it less likely that you’ll need to go to the emergency room or urgent care.
How often should I see a primary care provider?
- Go at least one time every year for a checkup. They will complete a physical and may recommend blood tests, screenings, or vaccines at your appointment.
Great! I want a primary care provider. What should I do now?
- Contact your health insurance company to find a primary care provider today!
For more information about the importance of a PCP, email email@example.com or call 1-800-355-0885. We are available Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Original content by Sarah Bowen, MPH, MCHES®.